12 is an even composite number. It is composed of two distinct prime numbers multiplied together. It has a total of six divisors.
Prime factorization of 12:
22 × 3
(2 × 2 × 3)
22 × 3(2 × 2 × 3)
See below for interesting mathematical facts about the number 12 from the Numbermatics database.
Names of 12
- Cardinal: 12 can be written as Twelve.
- Scientific notation: 1.2 × 101
Factors of 12
- Number of distinct prime factors ω(n): 2
- Total number of prime factors Ω(n): 3
- Sum of prime factors: 5
Divisors of 12
- Number of divisors d(n): 6
- Complete list of divisors:
- Sum of all divisors σ(n): 28
- Sum of proper divisors (its aliquot sum) s(n): 16
- 12 is an abundant number, because the sum of its proper divisors (16) is greater than itself. Its abundance is 4
Bases of 12
- Binary: 1100 2
- Hexadecimal: 0xc
Squares and roots of 12
- 12 squared (122) is 144
- 12 cubed (123) is 1728
square rootof 12 is 3.4641016151
cube rootof 12 is 2.2894284853
Scales and comparisonsHow big is 12?
To count from 1 to 12 would take you about six seconds.
This is a very rough estimate, based on a speaking rate of half a second every third order of magnitude. If you speak quickly, you could probably say any randomly-chosen number between one and a thousand in around half a second. Very big numbers obviously take longer to say, so we add half a second for every extra x1000.
Note: we do not count involuntary pauses, bathroom breaks or the necessity of sleep in our calculation!
- A cube with a volume of 12 cubic inches would be around 0.2 feet tall.
Recreational maths with 12
- 12 backwards is 21
- 12 is a
- The number of decimal digits it has is: 2
- The sum of 12's digits is 3
- More coming soon!
The information we have on file for 12 includes mathematical data and numerical statistics calculated using standard algorithms and methods. We are adding more all the time. If there are any features you would like to see, please contact us. Information provided for educational use, intellectual curiosity and fun!