16 is an even composite number. It is composed of one distinct prime number multiplied by itself three times. It has a total of five divisors.
Prime factorization of 16:
(2 × 2 × 2 × 2)
24(2 × 2 × 2 × 2)
See below for interesting mathematical facts about the number 16 from the Numbermatics database.
Names of 16
- Cardinal: 16 can be written as Sixteen.
- Scientific notation: 1.6 × 101
Factors of 16
- Number of distinct prime factors ω(n): 1
- Total number of prime factors Ω(n): 4
- Sum of prime factors: 2
Divisors of 16
- Number of divisors d(n): 5
- Complete list of divisors:
- Sum of all divisors σ(n): 31
- Sum of proper divisors (its aliquot sum) s(n): 15
- 16 is a deficient number, because the sum of its proper divisors (15) is less than itself. Its deficiency is 1
Bases of 16
- Binary: 10000 2
- Hexadecimal: 0x10
Squares and roots of 16
- 16 squared (162) is 256
- 16 cubed (163) is 4096
16 is a
perfect square number. Its square rootis 4
cube rootof 16 is 2.5198420999
Scales and comparisonsHow big is 16?
To count from 1 to 16 would take you about eight seconds.
This is a very rough estimate, based on a speaking rate of half a second every third order of magnitude. If you speak quickly, you could probably say any randomly-chosen number between one and a thousand in around half a second. Very big numbers obviously take longer to say, so we add half a second for every extra x1000.
Note: we do not count involuntary pauses, bathroom breaks or the necessity of sleep in our calculation!
- A cube with a volume of 16 cubic inches would be around 0.2 feet tall.
Recreational maths with 16
- 16 backwards is 61
- The number of decimal digits it has is: 2
- The sum of 16's digits is 7
- More coming soon!
The information we have on file for 16 includes mathematical data and numerical statistics calculated using standard algorithms and methods. We are adding more all the time. If there are any features you would like to see, please contact us. Information provided for educational use, intellectual curiosity and fun!